Tuesday 1 May 2012

...she'll be coming 'round the mountain when she comes...

Denver Junction - pen & french sepia wash
Well, I don't know if that's the Rocky Mountains spread across North America and Canada, but I do know that my Denver is not Denver, Colorado, but good old A1122 Denver - just outside Downham Market, Norfolk UK - which lies on the Roman Fen Causeway.
And even joined, twinned or mashed up with Downham Market and twin town Civray, it's still a mite smaller than the capital of Colorado! Although I confess to having overcome my surprise at such familiar local names as Denver, Boston, Vancouver, and Norfolk too - how did the village of Eye come to be christened, well - Eye?
While there's no Cherry Creek or South Platte River, our Denver is the site of the first sluice built by Cornelius Vermuyden in 1651 and plays a major role in the drainage of the fens. Denver Sluice which is at the confluence of not two but five watercourses is also home to the Denver Sailing Club. 
And not a word about my french sepia 'Denver Junction' yet.  
Watch this space... 

If you've enjoyed this post please leave a comment - thanks. 

1 comment: